Recyclable material... is it really?

I am confused by the term ‘recyclable material’… there is a large proportion of the waste that I fish out of the sea which is marked as recyclable, and yet despite its obvious age, shows no significant signs of breaking down or reducing the hazard to sea life or re-entering the food chain in the form of micro plastics.
Some materials that will break down under composting conditions and are marked as ‘recyclable’ which is misleading if there is no bacterial element to initiate the process, which clearly is the situation for any such plastics that are choking our oceans.
I would like clearer information displayed on all plastic packaging to inform the purchaser the precise environmental qualities (in the same way we have legislated for the contents) so that conscious decision can be made by the consumer at the point of purchase.
Observation - If our government can give notice to the entire country that smoking will be banned in public spaces on a specific day, I do not understand why the same approach can not be adopted to double wrapped plastic packaging on fruit and veg, the proliferation of single use ‘disposable’ items and higher levies applied to the continued use of plastic. Is the health of our planet not equally important to the health of our lungs?

3 Likes

Surely recyclable means that the packaging product needs to be processed in order to be reused?

We cannot expect such a product to break down in the ocean or in landfill.

It should not be produced in the first place.

1 Like

Recyclable or compostable? I think it is rather different. Recyclable means it can be processed. Compostable should mean biodegradable, but you are saying that materials marked compostable don’t biodegrade? Is that correct?

I have the same concerns.

It would be good to have bigger logos in front of every packaged product indicating if it is recyclable or not, and where it is being recycled (UK or South East Asia).
vegetables-wrapped-in-plastic%20copy

1 Like

In Chile, they changed the law for packaging pushing all producers to show with labels in the front of the products dangerous levels of sugar, salt and fat. As a result, consumer habits changed, and producers lowered the sugar levels to avoid black labels, effectively decreasing obesity.

450_1000
The black labels indicate sugar

Sorry… yes I believe I used the wrong term. Biodegradable items do not decompose at sea because the conditions required to compost do not exist.